Wanted: Beta Readers for The Worth of Gold
May 21st, 2020
(Note: This open call closed on June 1st, 2020, all chosen beta readers
have since been emailed)
Would you like the chance to be the first to read The Worth of Gold? How would you like to be a part of the creative process, helping to find typos and the like?
Then we here at the Gold & Steel team are looking for you!
Starting in June, (specific date to be announced later) we will be doing an online beta reading session of The Worth of Gold, and we’re looking for five to ten readers to join the team for this opportunity.
1. What will be expected of a beta reader?
– Beta readers are the typo-hunters. It will be your job to scope out any mistakes in the final print form that might have escaped Christopher Walsh and the editing team. Of course, if you see anything else that stands out to you, for good or bad reasons, we welcome feedback. You will be expected to not release any spoilers from the book until after publication, and if you choose to do a review, it might be featured in the book.
2. How long is the book and how long will I have to complete my read-through?
– The book is 320,000+ words long, (just north of 700 6×9 pages) and you will have approximately a month to read through it. Extensions can be granted for extenuating circumstances.
3. In what format will I be reading the book?
– The file will be uploaded to Google Drive, in a secure file marked for each beta reader and accessible only by that beta reader and Walsh. We use Google Drive and Google Docs for its ability to allow for side-bar notes, which helps in the editing/proofing process tremendously.
4. Are there any perks for being a beta reader? (besides early access to read the book?)
– Yes there is! Each beta reader will get their name listed in the back of the book as on official beta reader, a free signed copy of the book in paperback or hardcover, and a The Worth of Gold t-shirt.
5. How will I know if I’ve been chosen to be a beta reader?
– You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org after the deadline date of June 1st, 2020 to let you know if you’ve been chosen. An announcement will be made on our Facebook page when the emails have been sent.
6. How can I sign up?
– You can head on over here and fill out our questionnaire on Google Forms: (link deactivated)
7. What if I have more questions/concerns?
– Please feel free to email us at email@example.com.